Poultry Matters Forum moved to: www.poultrymatters.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tendon Repair in Gosling

Go down

Tendon Repair in Gosling Empty Tendon Repair in Gosling

Post by Katy Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:48 am

For anyone with more money than sense (not wealthy, just disturbed will do) then you might like to know that slipped tendon or similar injuries can be repaired. I usually destroy birds once they have this, but this time I sent a gosling in to Adrian Gallagher to see if it could be done. The answer is yes, if you've got enough money. It's probably not worth it unless the animal is very valuable. The cost of this was around $600.

This is post-surgery. The right hock joint has been repaired. It isn't exactly right but he's mobile enough to grow and hopefully it will repair itself as he does so. This joint was so bad he couldn't stand at all.

Tendon Repair in Gosling 76689_474114632224_786262224_5248561_725438_n

If you look really closely you can see evidence of sutures on the right hock here. He's swimming well and can get in and out of the dam.

Tendon Repair in Gosling 74017_474114567224_786262224_5248559_2066781_n

I think this injury happened because of the weather at the time that this batch were young and growing. They couldn't feed normally.
Katy
Katy
Admin

http://www.poultrymatters.com

Back to top Go down

Tendon Repair in Gosling Empty Re: Tendon Repair in Gosling

Post by Katy Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:50 am

A close up picture shows the suture marks better.

Tendon Repair in Gosling Gozziesleg

Here is a less happy moment earlier in his recovery when we weren't sure if he was going to make it. You can see the sutures more easily there.

Tendon Repair in Gosling Gozziesleg2

The vet believes it should stretch a little as he uses it to bear weight a bit more. All in all it was a successful surgery. This gosling grew to be adult and there was almost no limp.
Katy
Katy
Admin

http://www.poultrymatters.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum