Poultry Matters Forum moved to: www.poultrymatters.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Permethrin Spray Rates for Coops and Birds

Go down

Permethrin Spray Rates for Coops and Birds Empty Permethrin Spray Rates for Coops and Birds

Post by Katy Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Note: There are are some slightly different recommendations out 'there' and these rates are estimates only.

Quite often people are looking for the Permethrin Spray Dilution rates. While we always follow the product label, sometimes there are no poultry directions on the label of a garden product.

I've copied the advice given on msucares.com and dropped it in here. It's not in metric so I'll just convert it for convenience. Perhaps it will be helpful to someone. I've just worked using an online converter and US volume units. I've also rounded a bit.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/pesticides.html

Permethrin
5.7% EC Spray -- Dilute 7 tsp/gal or 1 qt/25 gal for .05% solution
-- Dilute 4 1/2 Tbs per gallon for .1% solution

10% EC Spray -- Dilute 4 tsp/gal or 1 qt/50 gal for .05% solution
-- Dilute 2.5 Tbs/gal or 1 qt/25 gal for .1% solution

11% EC Spray -- Dilute 3.5 tsp/gal or 1 pt/25 gal for .05% solution
-- Dilute 7 tsp/gal or 1 qt/25 gal for .1% solution

25% WP -- 1.5 tsp/gal or 1 pt/30 gal for .05% solution
-- 1 Tbs/gal or 1 pt/15 gal for .1% solution

Intermediary Figures:
5.7% EC Spray -- Dilute 34.5ml/3.78L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 66.5ml per 3.78L for .1% solution

10% EC Spray -- Dilute 19.7ml/3.78L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 37ml/3.78L for .1% solution

11% EC Spray -- Dilute 17.25ml/3.78L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 34.5ml/3.78L for .1% solution

25% WP -- 7.4ml/3.78L for .05% solution
-- 15ml/3.78L for .1% solution

Final Figures:
(Reduced to one whole litre. It's easier to work with. Figures rounded.)

5.7% EC Spray -- Dilute 9ml/L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 18ml per L for .1% solution

10% EC Spray -- Dilute 5ml/L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 10ml/L for .1% solution

11% EC Spray -- Dilute 4.5ml/L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 9ml/L for .1% solution

25% WP – 2.0ml/L for .05% solution
-- 4ml/L for .1% solution

Then how to apply it:

The .1% solution is applied to ceilings, walls, and suspended objects using a pressurized or power sprayer. This residual spray may remain effective for several weeks unless removed by washing or rain.

The .05% solution can be applied directly to the birds at the rate of 1 gallon (3.78L) per 75 adult chickens. The solution applied to the birds is effective for mites only. Pay particular attention to the vent area when spraying to insure complete spray penetration and coverage.

.25% Dust -- Apply with shaker can at rate of 1 lb (454gm)/100 birds. Dust to cover vent area. Recommended for treatment of mites only.
Katy
Katy
Admin

http://www.poultrymatters.com

Back to top Go down

Permethrin Spray Rates for Coops and Birds Empty Re: Permethrin Spray Rates for Coops and Birds

Post by Katy Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Now an example closer to home. This is just what I do. Others can make their own choices.

I go to Bunnings and I buy David Grays Ant & Termite Spray. I pick it up in the Garden Section. I think I paid less than $20, but if you buy it online here it costs $23.00. It wouldn't bother buying something like this online. You can get it easily at local places. It looks like this:

Permethrin Spray Rates for Coops and Birds DavidGraysAntandTermiteSpraysmall

The label says:
Active Constituent: 10g/L Permethrin 25:75
Solvent: 792 g/L Hydrocarbon liquid

If I go to the MSD it tells me that it's 10% permethrin.
http://www.davidgray.com.au/files/DAVID%20GRAYS%20ANT%20%20TERMITE%20SPRAY.pdf

So to use this product as per the above post, I need to dilute it firstly to two strengths - 0.05% solution, and 0.1% solution. The 0.05% is for the birds themselves, the 0.1% solution is for the housing. To do that I use the following rates:

Firstly to get the 0.1% solution I need to dilute the product 1:100. So 10ml in a Litre does that. That takes care of spraying the housing.

Then half strength for the birds themselves - dilute 1:200. That's 5ml in a Litre. Easy.

So spray the housing with a dilution of 10ml/L.
Spray the birds with a dilution of 5ml/L

When spraying make sure you've removed all food and water so that it can't be contaminated. Also remove all loose litter and burn it or seal it in a bag or dispose of it. Clean everything first. Then spray thoroughly making sure you get into all the nooks, cracks and crannies. Let it dry before putting the birds back in. I also think it's worth quoting Looloo's advice regarding spraying.
Pay particular attention to the vent area when spraying to insure complete spray penetration and coverage.

Never do spray your birds on a wet or cold day
Never do them at night time due to chilling
Never do them late in the day, they need time to dry off before going to sleep and night air hits them
Never allow any of the mixture to go down the birds throats or into their eyes
Never be rough when handling your birds when spraying them

It is also a good idea at the time of spraying that you check their:
1. Nails.. clip them if they are too long
2. Legs.. for any scaly leg mite.. if found apply olive oil with a small paint brush and continue to apply once a week for 6 weeks to all birds
3. Dirty vent.. if dirty, clean and if necessary cut away some of the vent feathers so the droppings can fall away cleanly
4. Comb & Wattle.. look for any mites under the wattles and eye lids... small clusters of black crustations.. these are stick fast fleas.. apply clean olive oil to these areas before you spray the bird with Permethrin, it will take 24 hours to kill the flea, birds need to be checked every 2 days if you do find them, as they will re infect the birds until they are all dead.
Katy
Katy
Admin

http://www.poultrymatters.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum