Poultry Matters Forum moved to: www.poultrymatters.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crop Feeding

Go down

Crop Feeding Empty Crop Feeding

Post by Katy Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:02 pm

It is sometimes difficult to understand how to hold a bird for crop feeding. Here's a set of pictures to help those who've never done it before.

Firstly, straight crop needle and syringe.
Crop Feeding _DSC9144Small
The rounded end that goes into the crop:
Crop Feeding _DSC9146Small
The square end that fits over the nozzle of the standard syringe:
Crop Feeding _DSC9145Small
Connected:
Crop Feeding _DSC9147Small

If you have a helper, get him to hold the bird, making sure the legs and wings are secure and still. If you are right handed hold the syringe and needle with your right hand, and grasp the birds beak with your left. Open it and lift it up and back to create a straight line:
Crop Feeding _DSC9178Small
Your hand holds the head still, while your fingers keep the beak open and guide the crop needle down the centre. You should be able to look down and see the opening to the wind pipe. Avoid that.
Crop Feeding _DSC9194Small
Crop Feeding _DSC9186Small

You can keep the head and neck in position, and support the needle all with the left hand for a moment, to check the position of the needle end with your right hand. If it's about the middle, gently and slowly depress the syringe plunger. Then carefully lift the needle out of the bird, still holding the head and neck in position. Be ready to stop the bird jerky and injuring itself on the needle while you are lifting it out.
Crop Feeding _DSC9200Small
Katy
Katy
Admin

http://www.poultrymatters.com

Back to top Go down

Crop Feeding Empty Re: Crop Feeding

Post by Katy Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Now if you don't have a helper, it's a bit more difficult but still possible. It's always hard to picture when people describe it, so I thought pictures may be helpful. This is just how I do it. Others may have other systems.

Wrap the bird in a towel to stop it moving. Just have it's head sticking out the top:
Crop Feeding _DSC9158Small
Sit down and hug the bird to your body. You are going to need your forearms, elbows and both hands for the job.
Crop Feeding _DSC9160Small
Use your right forearm and elbow to put firm pressure on the bird and hold it against your body. Then use your left hand to open the beak and pull the head up and back. Your right hand holds the crop needle and syringe and positions it.
Crop Feeding _DSC9167Small
Crop Feeding _DSC9172Small

You can support the needle with the left hand to allow the right to check position before you depress. Hold bird firmly in position while you lift the needle out, as they can jerk and hurt themselves. I hope this helps someone.
Katy
Katy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katy Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:07 pm

In birds with longer necks such as geese and ducks, a crop needle does not work. You need to use a tube. A lamb tube feeder works well. Next time I'm doing that I will try to get some photos.
Katy
Katy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down